- Melbourne’s west is one of the fastest growing populations in Australia and each year Western Health deliver safe and effective patient care to a rapidly increasing community. Operationally they are a large and complex organisation providing a diverse range of health care services to half a million people each year. Western Health’s sites are: Sunshine Hospital, Footscray Hospital, Williamstown Hospital, Sunbury Day Hospital, Hazeldean Transition Care Program, Drug Health Services, Western Centre for Health Research and Education (WCHRE), Sunshine Hospital Radiation Therapy Centre and Joan Kirner Women's and Children's Hospital
- Western Health encourages both personal and service improvement through a range of initiatives including the Best Care Awards, INSPIRE Awards and employee development programs. They recognise that it is essential to provide learning and development opportunities for their valued staff, who require ongoing training, learning and development beyond pure compliance and clinical skills. A successful Learning & Development program is key to employee retention, job satisfaction, productivity, competency, and the balance of work and personal life. In both 2015 and 2016 Western Health were shortlisted as Employer of the Year in the Victorian Training Awards and are the only Victorian health service to be nominated for an award of this kind.
- Their reputation for excellence in training and staff development continues to grow, supported by their own Registered Training Organisation, which has enabled more than 40% of their staff to receive a nationally recognised qualification, with half of those staff gaining their new qualification during one 12 month period. In recent years, they’ve become a magnet for Victoria’s brightest medical graduates. All of their first year interns who started work in the past year, came from the top quartile of almost 1000 medical graduates who applied for internships in Victoria’s hospitals.
- Located at Sunshine Hospital, the Western Centre for Health Research and Education, provides a range of purpose-built state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities. The Centre is the result of the partnerships with the University of Melbourne and Victoria University and plays a pivotal role in staff and student education and research activities. Available within the Centre is a 200 seat auditorium, a 100 seat lecture theatre, library facilities, simulation centres and a number of seminar and tutorial rooms. The Centre is Home to the Western School for Medicine and Allied Health in partnerships with the University of Melbourne and also houses researchers, academics and educators from Western Health, Victoria University and the University of Melbourne. The Centre has enabled a number of collaborative projects and opportunities researching diseases that affect local communities and has placed Western Health at the centre of excellence in academic and research fields. Western Health maintains strong partnerships with a number of lead universities including the University of Melbourne, La Trobe, Monash, RMIT and Victoria Universities for medical, nursing and midwifery and allied health training.
- Structurally, this role reports to the Western Health Executive Director People, Culture and Communications and the following positions report to it: Deputy Director of Education, Education Managers, RTO Manager, Centre for Education Facilities Manager, Simulation and E-Learn Manager, Coordinator Continuing Education, Resuscitation Coordinator and a Library Manager.
- The position is responsible for leading and developing the delivery of comprehensive learning and education programs across all disciplines. The Director will be required to promote a learning culture and to develop an education program underpinned by a comprehensive quality improvement framework. This will require an innovative and strategic approach to multidisciplinary education in order to meet the ongoing development needs of the organisation to grow the future workforce.
Ccentric is conducting an ANZ search on behalf of Western Health and is seeking is to identify, attract and appoint a highly regarded candidate with the capacity to lead and develop the organisation’s education and learning profile during a time of significant change. If you would like to have a confidential discussion and/or receive a detailed candidate brochure regarding this opportunity, then please contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on +61 (0)415 777 133.