- Northern Health is the major provider of acute, subacute and ambulatory specialist services in Melbourne’s North. This region is experiencing phenomenal population growth; with predictions suggesting upwards of an additional 250,000 people in the primary catchment area over the course of the next 20 years. In recent times Northern Health’s services have struggled to cope with the increasing demand, though an ongoing program of investment, rebuilding and refurbishment is now alleviating much of the pressure on their current infrastructure and to that end, Northern Health recently received $162.7 million in funding from the Victorian State Government.
- Orthopaedics has been at Northern Health since 1998 and in fact originally came from the old PANCH (Preston And Northcote Community Hospital). The previous Director held the position for 12 years and it is a longstanding and stable unit, having been rebuilt from a very junior unit several years ago. The unit has two accredited registrars (and there is capacity for a third), two non-accredited registrars, two HMO’s and an intern.
- The preference is for a 0.7 – 0.8 appointment. There is the capacity (if desired), to facilitate a pathway to an Adjunct Professor position through the University of Melbourne to enable some teaching and research. The intention is to build a much stronger working relationship with the university and therefore, an important element of this position is education of medical staff and a strong research and quality drive. While the appointee does not necessarily need to be a researcher, they must be capable of enabling research.
- The unit performs varied clinical work including hips, knees, shoulders, feet etc. It’s a busy unit and has a solid teaching program internally and is part of the Orthopaedic Board’s “Bone School”. They run teaching sessions on weekends around the state via various participating health services - Northern Health is part of that program and twice a year host the Bone School.
- Northern’s Broadmeadows site has recently undergone a significant rebuild with a new surgery centre built within the existing operating theatre footprint which includes two new cutting edge and larger operating theatres, taking the total number of full-size theatres on site to four. One of Broadmeadows new theatres will be a dedicated orthopaedic theatre for joints with the idea being that Broadmeadows will become the Joint Service Centre Of Excellence, from referral through to physiotherapy, occupational therapy, assessments, through to surgery, rehabilitation and home – one package and all treatment received in one place.
- While it’s desirable that candidates come from a Director, Deputy Director or other senior leadership background, it is not essential. If a candidate possesses, as yet, early career leadership experience with the potential to step up into a larger leadership role, then they may be a consideration for this position, as Northern Health has an excellent track record in management and leadership mentoring.
Ccentric is conducting an ANZ search on behalf of Northern Health and is seeking is to identify, attract and appoint a highly regarded candidate with the capacity to lead and develop Northern Health’s Orthopaedic program during a time of significant change. If you would like to have a confidential discussion and/or receive a detailed candidate brochure regarding this opportunity, then please contact Catherine Reidy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 (0)415 777 133.