The University of Newcastle stands as a global leader distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence. Our vision is to be a world-leading University for our regions and create a better future for our globe. Underpinned by this vision are our values of excellence, equity, engagement and sustainability.
About the Unit
The College of Health, Medicine and Wellbeing is a dynamic and research-intensive College. In collaboration with external partners and stakeholders, the College strives to make a difference by preparing career-ready healthcare and health research professionals and producing world-leading research that builds capacity for excellence in health prevention and intervention.
Be challenged and imagine with us
We are seeking to appoint a leading authority in the discipline of Public Health & Health Systems (PHHS).
Reporting to the Dean & Head of School of Medicine and Public Health, the Director will have critical roles in developing the PHHS as a collaboration with partner LHDs to support shared research and education priorities, engaging with national public health networks and professional organisations and fostering relationships with PHHS. Drive engagement in cross-college and institutional collaborations in relevant fields such as health economics, health policy and data science to align with the future visions for success with the School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH).
Providing research leadership, the Director will support growth in PHHS research relevant to rural communities and populations and will lead support to the Indigenous Research and Education Strategy of the University.
Building on existing strengths within the SMPH and providing leadership in undergraduate and post-graduate education, the Director will have oversight of courses on offer.
If you are a leader with a passion for engagement and collaboration, fostering excellence and delivering impact, we would like to talk to you.
How will you inspire us?
- You will have completed a doctoral qualification or equivalent and have standing in a health-related area.
- Demonstrated significant record of quality and impactful publication or non-traditional research output in high-quality outlets including evidence of international and national research collaborations and/or partnerships.
- Demonstrated recent record of leadership in leading major funding initiatives and applications for external research funding and guiding the development of more junior academic staff and researchers.
- Skills in active and effective record of supervising honours and masters research projects and Higher Degree by Research students.
- Demonstrated recent ability to achieve teaching quality as indicated by internal and external surveys and outcomes for students that will improve or innovate in response to feedback.
- Distinguished leadership in learning and teaching.
- Demonstrated significant contribution to the governance of the University, including successful mentoring of more junior academic staff, and developing policy and providing leadership in community activities, in professional, commercial, and industrial sectors at a national and international level.
- Value equity and diversity.
- Demonstrated knowledge of workplace obligations to, and experience in leading and cultivating workplace practices and behaviours that promote.
- Support and maintain a safe, healthy, equitable, diverse and respectful workplace.
We provide opportunities for all people regardless of their background and experience, and this philosophy is reflected across all that we do.
The University of Newcastle is an equal-opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
What we offer
A highly attractive remuneration package is on offer, commensurate with skills and experience.
For information on our employee benefits (such as flexible working, discounts in private health insurance and gym memberships and salary packaging) please visit here.
Your next steps
An executive search is being undertaken by Ccentric on behalf of the University of Newcastle.
For a confidential conversation, to receive a candidate information pack and to apply please contact:
Your application must include:
- A cover letter outlining your motivation to apply for this opportunity
- A statement addressing the Essential Criteria listed in the position description
- Your resume
Due to the nature of this role, the University may require the preferred candidate to undertake further pre-employment checks.
We are excited to be Looking Ahead with you.