- Be a part of an exciting $740million redevelopment that will showcase Liverpool hospital as a hub for innovation and emerging technologies.
- We are seeking an inspiring, effective and collaborative leader with excellent communication and interpersonal skills to join as a key member of our leadership team.
- Take up a senior medical leadership position within an expanding hospital with a fantastic case-mix serving a city area that is one of the fastest-growing in NSW.
Who we are
Located 50 minutes drive from the CBD of Sydney, the 850+ bed Liverpool Hospital is the major health service for the rapidly growing region of south-western Sydney. As the quaternary referral hospital for the South Western Sydney Local Health District and the principal teaching Hospital of both the University of NSW and the University of Western Sydney, Liverpool Hospital has the state’s busiest Emergency Departments as well as a state-wide trauma service. The service profile also includes 23 operating theatres, diagnostic and imaging services, maternity, paediatric, cancer care, mental health, ambulatory care, allied health and medical and surgical services from birth to aged care. Quaternary referral services include interventional neuro-radiology, hybrid trauma theatre, ECMO, and 24 hr cardiac interventional unit.
Liverpool Hospital Emergency Department is the busiest in NSW with annual census of 95000 presentations. As a mixed adult-paediatric ED with 20% of presentations under 16 we see more children than most other ED in the state. Our patient demographic is ethnically diverse as reflects the south west Sydney population with many patient from CALD and socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds. The case mix is complex and high acuity with an admission rate around 50%.
The Department of Emergency Medicine has a high profile within the hospital with a dynamic and well-respected consultant faculty providing emergency and subspecialty expertise across a range of domains including trauma, pre-hospital & retrieval medicine, ultrasound, geriatrics and research. The department provides the network director of EM training, director prevocational training, simulation medicine and ultrasound leads, and director of South Western Emergency Research Institute. The department has a strong track record in clinical and systems research including multi-centre trials, with over 50 peer-reviewed publications in the last decade. Our faculty are actively involved in many ACEM committees and working groups including curriculum development, examining, examination development, trauma and research. Our faculty also instruct on numerous national and international courses including APLS, ALS, EMST, ELS and MIMMS. There is a strong focus on education and training with 50 current trainees in emergency medicine. The emergency medicine training program is very highly regarded and provides fortnightly dedicated training days, an innovative simulation medicine program, as well as state-wide training courses. There is a longstanding record of training excellence evidenced recently by outstanding performances in both primary and fellowship 2019 ACEM examinations.
About the role
Reporting directly to the General Manager and Director Medical Services, this key medical executive position will provide clinical leadership and administrative management for the ED, and strategic advice to the executive team. We are seeking a highly effective communicator and collaborative leader to ensure that the department and hospital is able to deliver its clinical services in line with agreed service delivery, performance, expenditure and revenue targets, whilst championing enhancements to ongoing clinical practice improvement as we strive towards our goals of becoming ‘Australia’s Safest Hospital’.
- Current medical registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) and specialist recognition as provided for in the Staff Specialists (State) Award. Medical Indemnity Coverage (for award levels 2 to 5).
- Extensive experience in Emergency Medicine.
- Proven capacity to provide inspiring and effective clinical leadership.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to coordinate multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated capability in departmental management, including financial, performance and workforce management.
- Demonstrated record of achievement in the development and implementation of innovative programs for emergency care.
- Experience and expertise in strategic planning and service development.
- Demonstrated ability in clinical governance and continuous quality improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee staff education and training.
- Successful track record in building and co-ordinating effective clinical teams and building relationships with colleagues, staff, hospital, administration and consumers.
What we offer
- Employment terms and conditions as outlined in NSW Health Staff Specialist (state) Award with senior staff specialist salary and managerial allowance.
- Salary packaging options including salary sacrifice, meal & entertainment card, novated leasing.
- Generous training education and study leave (TESL) provisions.
- Internal professional development opportunities.
How to apply
Please contact Michael De Santis, Principal Consultant at the executive search firm Ccentric Group, for a confidential discussion about the opportunity and/or to receive a detailed information pack on the organisation and position. (Mob: +61 (0) 406 499 659, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Other Essential Requirements
- Pre-employment Health Declaration Form.
- WHS Responsibilities: As a leader you are expected to support the organisation achieve the aims of the safety management system, to establish and maintain a positive health and safety culture in the workplace and to consult with workers and others when making decisions that may impact upon the health, safety and welfare of those in the workplace.
- WWCC: Current Working with Children Check Clearance.
- NCRC: National Criminal Record Check (This check will be conducted by the Health Service for Recommended Applicants only).
- Staff Health: Compliance with the SWSLHD and NSW Health staff immunisation policy.