Looking Ahead: The Future of the Interim Market in Australia
Given what we have all been through due to COVID-19, it is a good lead into the discussion as to the opportunities interim solutions provide for both employees and employers.
It’s fair to say that the normal employment market and the pattern of hiring has been disturbed. What we tend to find is organisations looking at interim solutions when trying to move back into “business as usual”. It provides organisations with an opportunity to focus on critical elements without committing to long terms costs (some examples may include clinical governance or infection control projects) or maintaining leadership capability when people in permanent positions are reluctant to move during uncertain times.
From the perspective of those professionals new to interim (or have been in long term interim careers), it is the flexibility it provides in the broader career or life context, that seems to be the most appealing aspect. Naturally, it also helps people re-connect with the employment market if their own careers have taken a change through circumstance.
When we get the opportunity to match people’s goals (flexibility, diversity, reconnecting) with an organisation’s needs, interim solutions provide some great outcomes for everyone involved.
Below are some examples of the recent candidates our CcInterim team has placed:
- Interim Change Manager for a large aged care organisation
- Interim Chief Executive Officer for a large disability not-for-profit organisation
- Interim Chief Executive Officer for a large tertiary private/not-for-profit health service
- Interim Chief Financial Officer for a large specialist medical centre group
- Interim Chief Financial Officer for a rural health service
- Interim Director of Medical Services for a large metropolitan tertiary hospital
- Interim Director of Medical Services for a large rural tertiary health service
- Interim Director of Medical Services for a small metropolitan hospital
- Interim Director of Medical Services for a tertiary public/not-for-profit health service
- Interim Executive Director of Nursing for a large health service
- Interim Executive Director of People and Culture for a large public health service
- Interim Finance Director for a large metropolitan tertiary health service
- Interim Finance Manager for a large medical research institute
- Interim Human Resources Manager for a large medical research Institute
Interim Survey Results
In our 2019 Ccentric Interim Survey, we observed a steady growth in the Australian interim market. Our findings were from the results of 109 survey participants, 94% of whom work in the healthcare sector, with 70% of these operating at Executive and Director level within their organisation. Overall, the results show an increase in people looking at interim positions and there is an increasingly positive perception of the interim market. To ensure that we have up-to-date knowledge of the demands and drivers in the interim market, we conduct a survey of interim employees every couple of years.
Our key takeaways from our findings are below. You can also download the full 2019 Ccentric Interim Survey Report here.